In my last Instagram Q&A, someone asked what my favorite food/dish was. I answered with my moms peas and pasta. After I responded, I was SHOCKED at how many people wrote me saying they too love peas and pasta.
That made me think: I need to share my moms recipe. So, last time I was home, my mom and I made the dish and I quickly jotted down the ingredients and directions on a piece of paper (she made this recipe up years ago and has never written any of it down).
Quick note: we estimated the amounts of each ingredient, so my mom recommends doing a quick taste test at the end of each step to ensure all of the flavors are balanced.
- 1 pound of pasta, we recommend using Conchiglie or Orecchiette (to trap the peas)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2-3 teaspoons Better than Bullion roasted chicken base *this is the secret ingredient
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Combine garlic, olive oil, white wine, chicken stock and chicken bullion in a large sauté pan and bring to a hard simmer.
- Poor in peas and cook until heated through.
- Take peas mixture off heat and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to the box (we recommend cooking el dente).
- Combine pasta and peas mixture.
- Add in parmesan cheese and mix until cheese coats the pasta (this creates a nice cheese sauce).